The end of September marks the end of National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, but that does not mean that suicide prevention and awareness comes to an end. HopeLine's promise to the community is to support people and save lives during times of crisis through caring, confidential conversations. This means that every day, we are striving to bring light to the darkest places.
Over the years, we have had the opportunity to speak with thousands of individuals going through all forms of crisis. In that time, we have captured some of the inspiring things said towards the end of a call or text. Since there are 30 days in September, HopeLine has compiled 30 encouraging statements from our callers:
1) "You made a sad person very happy, thank you for making me smile."
2) "You're the first person I've shared this with. I feel so much better."
3) "Thank you for making me feel like I'm normal and not going crazy."
4) "First, I want to say thank you for your service. Ya'll provide service for people who are going through hell in a hand basket."
5) "You saved a life today."
6) "I definitely feel more motivated and less likely to dwell on this situation, because I was able to have a conversation with you."
7) "I feel so much lighter and happier since we have talked, thank you."
8) "I feel better after talking with you and even want to a little bit now."
9) "Thank you for listening to me for so long. It doesn't solve the problems, but it makes me feel heard... It pulled me out of despair."
10) "You're the nicest person I've talked to in the last 10 years. I cannot tell you how much you've helped me.. there is a razor on the table, and you may have saved my life."
11) "I never feel criticized or judged when calling HopeLine."
12) "It's nice to know there is someone to talk to on the other end of the line. My situation hasn't changed by talking to you, but it's hard going through it alone. I appreciate you listening."
13) "I should have called you all ages ago."
14) "HopeLine is the reason I'm still alive. You listen when no one else will. Thank you."
15) "Thank you, I feel much, much better not being alone and getting some support."
16) "I came up with my own plan to get better just from talking to you!"
17) "You do so much just by listening, it really does help. I don't know if you hear it enough, but thank you. You saved my life today."
18) "Your organization is wonderful. It's nice to know people care."
19) "I feel like I have been washed over by a wave of kindness. Thank you."
20) "Although I feel hopeless, part of me is still fighting."
21) "I can't thank you enough... I can't put into words how much this has helped."
22) "I'm so glad that I got a hold of you today. Just talking to you and knowing you will listen to me helps me figure out what I need to do next."
23) "I couldn't have done this without you. You guys have changed my life."
24) "Thank you for taking the time to listen to me."
25) "HopeLine was there when I needed someone. It was so nice to have someone just listen. Thank you so very much, I appreciate it."
25) "You don't know how much you've made me feel better."
26) "Give to the world what you feel is missing from it. This is why you're here."
27) "Thank you so much. I'm going to call you Angel for the day."
28) "An ear is like a million dollars to someone who doesn't have a penny and ya'll always give me your ear."
29) "I feel blessed. Thank you. Talking to you and you listening has been more therapeutic than seeing my psychiatrist, thank you!"
30) "I still scared and anxious, but I don't feel alone."
We hope that these quotes from our callers here have inspired you to reach out to someone if you are struggling. There is no situation too big or too small to reach out. HopeLine wants you to know, that you never have to be alone. There is someone who cares, and wants to hear what you have to say. You can reach us by calling or texting 919-231-4525 or toll free at 877-235-4525.